Monday, October 10, 2011

"How To Mark A Book"

In "How To mark A Book" by author Mortimer Adler, he disects the reasoning for writing while
you read a book. He tells that if you as he says, "write between the line"(68), it help for you to better understand what your are reading and to connect you more with the book. Personally I dont write as I read because of the simple fact that I do not undrstand how it is done and what exactly I should be writing as I read.
       He then goes on to discuss the "Three types of book owner", which I found quite true and funny. The first one he discusses is the "deluded individual who owns wood-pulp and ink, not books"(68). I know you've seen those houses that have the office with one of the four walls covered in a massive full perfectly stocked bookshelf, and you stop and think wow they reead all of these? The second kind he talks about just dabbles in books here and there never really finishing an entire book. And the third on is the one that actually "owns" the book, has marked in each of the few or many books he has digested.
Though as you continue to read this persuasive/informative essayhe begins to tell you how and where to write or scribble notes in your book. The best places are the margins, the front and back blank pages, and even inbetween the lines as you read. And if marking your book is not something you can do the get a notepad and write as you go.
This was surprisingly interesting for me to read. Alder seemed detemined to get the reader's of this essay to start marking your book. It was not something I hold interest in doing in the near future. But it does seem like a great tool for a study mechanism.

No comments:

Post a Comment